In the area of Pierrerue (close to Forcalquier), Miocene and Oligocene strata are exposed along the roads. Sometimes fossils can be found in these deposits.
Do you have (more) photographs of this location? Please send your photographs using the Fossil Location Photo form!
All of the sites can be reached by taking the D12 from Forcalquier in the direction of Lurs/Sisteron. Go left onto the D212 to Pierrerue, and follow this road in the direction of Sigonce/Fontienne. After this, turn left to Pierrerue, following the D212. There are tree known sites:
Drag the map and zoom in or out for the best view of this locality.
- After about 1500 meters, turn right to the hamlet of St. Pierre (this is also the D212). At the little bridge over the river, there is a bankment, where fossils can be found. Here, mostly fossil moulds of Pecten, Ostrea, brachiopods of the Helvetien (Serravalian-Langhian) can be found.
- From the D212, go straight (in stead of to St. Pierre), in the direction of Sigonce/Fontienne. This road has no number. About 2500 after the turn left in Pierrerue, there is a fossil site next to the road. There is a farmhouse on the righthand site, the fossil locality is just along the road across the farmhouse, on the lefthand side. Here, mostly pectinids and fragments of echinoids from the Burdigalian can be found.
- When you continue along this road, there is another fossil site (approximately 3.5 km from the turn left in Pierrerue). You will come across a small road to the hamlet of Le Liman. Here you can find fossils at the righthand side of the road. This site is not particularly rich. Mostly brachiopods and gastropods form the Chattian (Oligocene).
Moslty bivalves and gastropods.
There are 3 photographs of fossils from this location in our Fossil ID System.
Go to the Pierrerue Species List to identify your own finds!
Literature recommended by members
- Mongin, D., 1952: Gastropodes et Lamellibranches du Burdigalien de Provence.
Uitgave van Museum National d\'Histoire Naturelle, Nouvelle serie, Serie C, Tome II, Fascicule 2
- Philippe, M., 1998: Les échinides miocènes du bassin du Rhône : révision systématique. Première partie et Deuxième partie. Annexes. Publicaties du musée des Confluences Année 1998
Zeeegelbeschrijvingen van zeeegels die gevonden worden in het Rhône-basin
Do you have (more) literature suggestions for this location? Please send your suggestion using the Literature form!
Other locations in the area
Fossil location: Carniol
Fossil location: Carniol 2
Fossil location: Céreste
Fossil location: Digne-les-Bains
Fossil location: Digne-les-Bains (Barles)
Fossil location: Fontienne
Fossil location: Gorges du Verdon (10 Bauduen)
Fossil location: Gorges du Verdon (11 Esparron du Verdon)
Fossil location: Les Baronnies 10 (Barret)
Fossil location: Les Baronnies 2 (La Charce en Rottier)
Fossil location: Saint-Maime
Museum: Musée de géologie de la Maison du Parc du Luberon
Museum: Musée Minéralogique et Paléontologique Pierre Delquie
Museum: Musée Pierre Martel de Vachères
Museum: Musée Promenade
Museum: Museum d’Histoire Naturelle d’Aix en Provence Aix
Thanks to Pierre Verbraak
Everybody using the fossil collecting location descriptions from this site has to respect the Collecting Code!
Search the Forum to find recent messages about this location.
Do you have additional info or corrections? REPORT